Your septic system can have a long lifespan with minimal maintenance if you follow the advice of a knowledgeable Houston plumber. You should never put anything down the drain that could plug the pipes or pollute the water table. However, you can dispose of wash water, toilet tissue and mild detergents. Here is a list of items that you should not put in your septic system.
- Pesticides, fertilizers, herbicides or other agricultural chemicals
- Pool or spa products, such as chlorine bleach or other chlorides
- Rug shampoo or floor wax
- Toxic or flammable products
- Cigarette butts or chewing tobacco
- Newspaper, paper towels and candy wrappers
- Baby wipes, cleaning wipes or anything made of a non-biodegradable material
- Diapers, feminine hygiene products, condoms or dental floss
- Coffee grounds, tea bags or eggshells
Guidelines for Water Use
The wise use of water will also lessen your need for repairs. These guidelines will help you save money on your water bills.
- Schedule a Houston toilet repair if your commode is leaking. A leaking toilet or other fixture can waste thousands of gallons of water every week, which will overload your septic system.
- Install low-flow devices on shower heads and household faucets.
- Spend less time in the shower. Do not completely fill your bathtub when you take a bath.
- Wait until you have a full load to wash your clothing or dishes.
- If you need to replace your toilet, buy a low-flush model.
- Do not let the water run while you are brushing your teeth or washing your face.
To avoid the expense of a septic system repair or replacement, follow these tips.
- Collect your grease in a jar or can. Dispose of it with the trash.
- If you have a garbage disposal, your best option is to not use it or have it removed. Table scraps make a great garden compost.
- Never use additives that will supposedly improve your system’s performance. They can damage plastic pipes and rubber seals.
- Use safe products instead of hazardous cleansers.
- Do not use antibacterial soap because it will interfere with the natural breakdown of waste in your septic tank.
- The brine from water softeners can interfere with the settling of grease, solids and liquids in your septic tank, which can clog your system. This can lead to fouling of your drain field and increased replacement of filters.
Santhoff Plumbing Company offers complete residential and commercial services. Our knowledgeable staff can handle a Houston water heater repair, toilet replacement or any other plumbing need. If you have an emergency, contact us anytime at 713-665-4997. We are known for our expertise, on-time arrival and affordable rates.