Clogged drains happen to even the best housekeepers. Here are some tips to help you keep your drains flowing freely so that you can avoid an emergency call to a Houston plumber.
You can help prevent slow or clogged drains with a simple maintenance routine.
- To keep oil from building up in your pipes, every professional Houston plumbing company will tell you to always run hot water through the sink after each use. Hot water thins the grease, which allows it to move through the plumbing.
- Once in a while, put some baking soda in the drain. Then, let some hot water flow through the system. In addition to cleaning up the pipes, baking soda will absorb nasty odors.
- Pour one cup of vinegar into the drain. Wait 30 minutes. Then, pour some very hot water into your sink to wash it away. The acetic acid in the vinegar removes any buildup of organic matter in the drain and pipes.
- If your pipes regularly clog, put one-half cup of baking soda, vinegar and salt in your drain. Then, add two quarts of boiling water. Do this just before you go to bed. Let the foamy mixture sit overnight. Then, rinse it out with hot water.
- If you have a garbage disposal, make a tray of ice cubes with 50 percent vinegar and 50 percent water. Turn on your disposal, and add the cubes. The ice will chip away at any leftover sludge while the vinegar cleanses the disposal. To remove the smell of vinegar, toss a slice of lemon in after the vinegar/water cubes.
- You can also use some commercial lye-based drain cleaner to melt soap and hair that may have accumulated. Follow the instructions, and do not use too much.
Never put problematic substances in your drain. Place your coffee grounds in your mulch pile, or throw them in the garbage. Save your cooking grease in a cardboard milk container or an empty coffee can. Then, throw the container away when it is full.
You should also get in the habit of using a drain cover or screen in your bathtub or shower stall to lessen the chance of a hair or soap buildup. A cover is simple to put in place, and it will reduce the likelihood of your having to call a Houston plumbing company to unclog your drain. You can buy one at the local hardware store.
If you still find that your drains clog frequently, give Santhoff Plumbing Company a call at 713-665-4997. We can also take care of Houston water heater repair or any other plumbing emergency you might have.