The plumbing in your home is easily one of the most important parts of its infrastructure. Unfortunately, many things can and do go wrong with plumbing. These problems could have you calling a Houston plumber at any time of the day or night. Here is a list of the most common plumbing issues and how you can reduce or eliminate the damage.
- Occasionally, you might be able to temporarily “repair” a leaking pipe or a broken valve. However, over the course of time, your repair could lead to worse problems. It is wise to let a Houston residential plumber handle any repairs that you might need instead of trying to make a “quick fix” repair.
- Drain cleaners and other home products typically have harsh ingredients that can ruin your pipes after they dissolve the clog in your system. If you cannot remove the clog with a plunger, call a Houston plumber.
- Toilet fresheners can cause a blockage if a piece breaks off and gets stuck in the sewer pipe.
- Your pipes may be attacked by tree roots. Once they pierce a pipe, the roots will continue to grow until they completely crack it. If your pipes are getting clogged regularly, you should have a professional plumber snake the pipes with a rooter.
- One of the worst things you can do is to flush paint, bleach or other household chemicals down your toilet. They can damage the pipes leading to the septic tank or the tank itself.
- Hot grease should never be poured into a drain or the toilet. When it cools, it hardens and forms a plug that can completely block the pipe. Balls of grease are difficult to remove.
- Garbage disposals are great for many things, but some garbage should never be put in them. Chemicals and grease will still cause problems if they are sent through the disposal. Bones and other hard items can clog the system even if they are broken into smaller pieces.
- You should replace your water heater approximately every 10 years to prevent a plumber from making a Houston water heater repair It is a good idea to have your water heater inspected by a pro every two years. Never attempt to work on your water heater yourself. That is just asking for trouble and can be dangerous.
If you are having problems with your plumbing, contact Santhoff Plumbing at 713-665-4997. We are available every day of the year for emergencies. Our skilled plumbers can fix any problem quickly and professionally. We can also set up regular inspections to keep your plumbing problem free.